font-family:Verdana,Sans-Serif -->
Thanks for swinging in! Writing with a bunch of smart young people, we blog about the monkey business of life with tweens 8-15, and love anything shiny and new. Book/movie/game reviews, shopping, nom nom snacks, OMG news and issues, pop stars, and YouTube LOLs are fair game in this jungle.

7.06.2011

Nom Nom Wednesday Review: Oikos Organic Greek Yogurt by Stonyfield


I'm a traditional yogurt eater, and have always grabbed brands like Dannon and Stonyfield from the supermarket shelves, but I have a new love: no-fat Greek yogurt. I recently had a coupon for Stonyfield's Oikos Organic Greek Yogurt... so here's my review and hopefully you'll be a convert too.

TEXTURE: If you are used to regular yogurt, the first thing you'll notice about Greek yogurt is its incredibly rich and creamy texture.  Stir up the fruit on the bottom, and you'll see that it is much thicker and pudding like than traditional yogurt... and more pleasing to the eye if you are like me and "eat with your eyes"!
Oikos 5.3-oz. strawberry yogurt
110 cals, no fat!
TASTE: I braced for the unusual flavor I've experienced with other Greek yogurt brands, but got none... and Stonyfield's strawberry adds fruity sweetness within the plain yogurt's milky, creamy taste. It takes a while to blend it all in, but once I tasted it, I said "No Whey!" (Yea, I went there.)


NUTRITION: Greek yogurt's best feature is that it has about twice the protein of regular yogurt, less lactose, and fewer carbs. 
Oikos Organic Greek Yogurt has 0% fat and just 80 calories per serving for plain; 110 for strawberry, 15% of your daily calcium requirement! They use organic milk from family farms (bonus!) and quality organic fruits - the strawberries had a fresh flavor and not a "packaged" flavor. They also use five live active cultures: S. thermophilusL. bulgaricusL. acidophilusBifidus, and L. casei
.  Good for my tummy.

RECIPE BONUS:
Stonyfield's website touts that you can cook with Greek yogurt, so I couldn't help but share this amazing coconut cake recipe made with Oikos made by "Meg"... YUM. I'll show you monkeys a photo of mine when I get around to making this, but man I love coconut cake!


RATING: Five bananas to Oikos on a scale of 0-5, five is the highest!


Free product or compensation was not provided for this review - all opinions are my own.

Got a food/beverage we can review? Read the Jungle Rules tab on this blog for instructions on how to send, and we'll review promptly on My Shiny Monkey!


No comments:

Web Analytics