font-family:Verdana,Sans-Serif -->
Thanks for swinging in! Writing with a bunch of smart young people, we blog about the monkey business of life with tweens 8-15, and love anything shiny and new. Book/movie/game reviews, shopping, nom nom snacks, OMG news and issues, pop stars, and YouTube LOLs are fair game in this jungle.

5.22.2013

Speak up - happy 100th birthday, American Cancer Society

Yesterday, May 22, 2013 was the American Cancer Society’s 100th birthday. ACS is determined to finish the fight against cancer through a series of caregiver blog posts called Caregiver Stories. These stories are a great example of what can happen when people MAKE NOISE. Amplify your thoughts. Speak up.

Kids are a great megaphone. "Mom, when will you stop smoking?" I remember as a kid, hating the smoke that permeated my household and the tobacco addiction that seemed to be more important than my health and safety. I hated the smell, the second-hand taste, the way it made all of our clothes and hair smell. I should have spoken up more. I regret staying silent. My mother died too young, and although cigarettes weren't the direct cause for her demise, it certainly contributed to an unhealthy lifestyle.

Silence is not the solution. Action is the solution. Keep speaking up for what you believe in, and keep finding supporters - other voices  - to help you. Cancer is a beast and the fight to end cancer CAN BE ENDED in your lifetime. Walk, donate, speak up, write, get involved:



For more stories, visit the ACS's 100 Days, 100 Stories of Hope page to learn more about caregivers, volunteers, and research giants.  If you would like to share your story as a caregiver, click here to share. Help finish the fight and help ACS.

Disclosure: I was not paid any financial compensation to write this post and all stories and opinions are my own.

2 comments:

Heather Burgess said...

Julie

I agree 100 % that the kids are the voice that will change the world. I hope that the world will start listening.

Keep your kids involved and teach them about the ways they can make a difference.

All four of my kids RELAY and my daughter told me last week, I think I will be an Event Chair for Relay For Life one day mom. Sounds like a plan I told her!

Let's get rid of the BEAST and hope that ACS does not need to celebrate their 150th b day!

HLB

Julie Dennehy said...

great point Heather!

Web Analytics