font-family:Verdana,Sans-Serif -->
Thanks for swinging in! Writing with a bunch of smart young people, we blog about the monkey business of life with tweens 8-15, and love anything shiny and new. Book/movie/game reviews, shopping, nom nom snacks, OMG news and issues, pop stars, and YouTube LOLs are fair game in this jungle.

2.18.2011

Informal thoughts about boys and formal wear

What's more stressful on the night of a school band concert than:
a) finding out about the concert a few days before because we get too many school emails and I ignored this one,
b) finding out the concert requires shirt, tie, dress shoes, and
c) finding out your growing kid outgrew his "formal" clothes from last spring?
Thanks to kind friends with kids older than mine, I usually have dress pants, shirts and a tie "in the wings" in case a formal event pops up. I do not, however, check to see if my growing kid (3.5 inches this year, 4 inches last year) fits the stuff on a regular basis.
What strategies do you have for making sure you have nice clothes for nice events on hand... other than last minute shopping trips? Where do you get formalwear for your tween... other than friends' closets?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

families in my neighborhood trade navy sports coats like baseball cards, especially during the bar mitzvah years- " I have a boys 14 short, I can trade for an 18 long- who's in ?"
They only wear the jacket to the Temple, where they sit reasonably still, then take it off once they hit the party, so the same jacket can last many years and clothe many boys ....

Unknown said...

Too funny, Lisa and Melanie... what a great idea to swap when the boys don't nee them. Green fashion - nice recycling! I suppose i could have asked on Freecycle for the clothes... but those are folks I don't know at all. Great comment, and I'll be sure to check out your blog - let me know if you want to be added to my blogroll (and vice versa).

Web Analytics